Conditions of Entry and Sale
2019 Camberwell Art Show
Opening date for submissions:
Monday 4th March 2019
|Closing date for submissions:||Monday 20th May 2019|
Please note that this Closing Date will NOT be extended.
Artists notified of Accepted Paintings:
Friday 7th une
Cut Off Date for Payment of Exhibition Fee:
Tuesday 18th June 2019
Delivery of Paintings:
10am to 9pm - Tuesday, 25th June
Gala Opening & Major Award Night:
Friday, 28th June – 6:00pm to 10.30pm
Open to the Public:
Saturday, 29th June to Sunday 7th July.
|Minor Awards Announced:||Saturday 28th June - Noon|
Collection of Works:
Sunday, 7th July - 6pm to 9.30pm
Artists Day - Free to Entering artists:
Monday 1st July - 10am to 4pm
Submission Fee (Non-refundable)
$10 per painting
Accepted Painting for Exhibition Fee:
1) $20 for each selected work that does not exceed 1 metre on any one side of the painting including framing.
2) $30 for each selected work with a measurement between 1 and 1.4 metres on one side including framing
3) $50 for each selected work greater than 1.4 metres on any one side. It will be hung at the discretion of the Camberwell Artshow Committee.
Commission levied on Sales
2019 Awards - Total Prize Pool $40,000
Best in Show
|Best Non-Traditional work||$3,000|
|Best Traditional work||$3,000|
|Best Work on Paper||$3,000|
|Best Non-Traditional work under $1.5K||$1,000|
|Best Traditional work under $1.5K||$1,000|
|Best Oil < $1500||$1,000|
|Best Work on Paper < $1500||$1,000|
|Judges' Special Award||$500|
|Judges' Special Award||$500|
|Judges' Special Award||$500|
|City of Boroondara Award: $500 and an exhibition at the Hawthorn Arts Centre - Only Boroondara resident artists are eligible for this prize|
Drawing Award - New for 2019 $2500 in supplies
See Drawing Definition on this site
1.0 Entry Terms:
In submitting an Entry, the Artist contracts with the Rotary Club of Camberwell Inc. [hereinafter referred to as ‘the Club'] and acknowledge acceptance of the following conditions of entry:
- All entries must be new original paintings of the exhibitor. Original work excludes reproductions or any works worked on by a tutor. If a person other than the Artist makes an entry on their behalf a written authority signed by the Artist authorising that person must be emailed to: email@example.com.
- All entries must be made through the on-line entry system on the Camberwell Art Show webpage [www.camberwellartshow.org.au]. For assistance in entering please see Frequently Asked Questions [FAQ] or contact the administrator on 0431286483.
Assistance in entering artists' details and images including scanning is available.
- No work shall be submitted if the sale of the artwork is a resale within the meaning of the Resale Royalty Right for Visual Artists ["the Act"].
No work shall be submitted if the sale of the artwork is buying, selling, exchanging or otherwise dealing in second hand goods within the meaning of the Second Hand Pawnbrokers Act 1989.
- All works submitted will be for sale, unless otherwise agreed in writing by the Club.
- The Artist will fix the sale price on the entry form.
- All entries are submitted at the total risk of the Artist. The Artist indemnifies the Club against any claim, loss or damage of whatever nature or cause how so ever occurring and whether directly or indirectly relating to entered works or their delivery or description.
- Application fees are compulsory for each work submitted and not refunded; Guest Artists are exempt. Selected Entry fees are not refundable under any circumstances even if the work[s] are not received by the Club.
- The Artist appoints the Club as his or her agent for the purposes associated with exhibition and sale and grants a licence to the Club to reproduce any work submitted for the purpose of publicity, promoting the exhibition, education, preparing a catalogue, including paintings in an on-line catalogue/social media promotion.
2.0 Restrictions on Works Being Entered:
- Number of Works: The Artist shall be entitled to submit for assessment a maximum of six  original works and warrants that all entries submitted are his or her original uncopied work.
- Size of Painting: Accepted work for entry into the competition that DOES NOT exceed 1 metre on any one side of the painting [including framing, if any] will incur an entry fee of $20. Paintings with a measurement between 1 and 1.4 metres on one side, will incur a fee of $30/ painting and any paintings greater than 1.4 metres on any one side will incur an acceptance fee of $50 and may or not be hung at the discretion of the Club.
- Framing and Wire: All Paintings to be framed. Stretchered canvas is considered framed but must have rigid and adequate cross members. Each work must be fitted with substantial hanging wire [NOT CORD] and 'flush D hangers.' [Hangers which protrude, e.g. 'eye hooks' and which can damage other works when stored are not acceptable]. The apex of the hanging wire should be approximately 75mm. below the top of the frame. Works not meeting these criteria will NOT be hung and any fees will NOT be refunded.
- Non Acceptable Works: Works of a 3D nature, beaten metal, painted porcelain, ceramic, photographs, digitally enhanced artwork, computer generated works, ‘worked' prints, prints including linocuts, monoprints, stencils, etchings, pokerwork, pyrography, textile art works, bark arrangements, plaster relief work, unprotected tempera or wet paintings or works of a like nature of the above [as determined by the Club in its absolute discretion], are not acceptable. [The committee will NOT accept an example of the above described work if it is delivered to the exhibition.]
- Multi panel pieces are accepted as one work but overall must not exceed the size limits as a whole.
- Guest Artists: Works submitted by a guest artist will not be eligible for competition. Such works will be for exhibition and sale only.
- Additional Works: Individual artists may at the discretion of the Club be invited to supply more than the maximum number of paintings. Such works will be for exhibition and sale only.
3.0 Submission & Acceptance Process
- Entering the Camberwell Art Show is a two stage process:
1 Submission of Entry and 2 Acceptance to Exhibit.
- All submissions can only be made via the on-line entry facility of the Art Show's Web Site.
Initial submission of up to six  paintings are made on-line with a fee of $10 payable per painting. This fee must be paid by credit card and is not refundable.
- All entries must be received on or before the closing date for applications specified in the ‘Exhibition Summary.' The initial submission facility of the Art Show website will be unavailable after this date.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
All images must be a high-resolution jpeg file and be of the work in its entirety. If there is a significant or noticeable difference between the initial image and the actual painting, the Club reserves the right to reject the acceptance of the painting. On such a rejection any fees paid will not be refunded.
- After the closing date all submissions will be reviewed and assessed by the Selection Panel.
Acceptance to Exhibit: Artists will be notified which of their works have been accepted to be exhibited by email at least two  weeks prior to the opening of the Show.
All decisions on acceptances will be final and no correspondence or discussion will be entered into.
- Artists whose paintings are accepted for exhibition will be notified and invited to exhibit at the 2019 Show. Their credit card will automatically be debited the appropriate exhibition fee amount of either $20, $30 or $50, depending on the painting size on or before 5th June 2019 for each selected work to confirm the invitation.
- All applicants must have an email address as all correspondence will be by email.
- All accepted works must be available for sale and display at The Show during the entire period of the exhibition.
- An Artist must provide bank account details to enable payment to be made to the Artist for any paintings sold during the Show.
- Artists must notify the Club if any accepted work is no longer available for sale at the Show or his/her intention to withdraw from entry any work with no refund of fees paid. Accepted works so withdrawn may be substituted at the discretion of ‘The Selection Panel.'
- An Artist may be required to provide additional information in connection with an application or work submitted. Failure to provide the additional information may result in rejection of the application or the work.
- For further information or assistance in submitting paintings:
Browse www.camberwellartshow.org.au or
4.0 The Selection and Judging Panel
- An experienced Selection Panel will initially review and assess all online entry applications.
The Selection Panel will decide which works will be invited to exhibit at the Show.
- A Judging Panel of three qualified persons will be appointed from outside the Club
- The Judging Panel will choose the winners of all Awards to be given for the year from the works that are hung at the Art Show.
- Works will be judged on the basis of:
- Compliance with the entry criteria and other requirements;
- The quality of the work/s submitted;
- The Club reserves the absolute right to exhibit such works as the Judging Panel may select to be on view during the Show. The Club reserves the right, at any stage of the Show, to hang or withdraw any work whether or not selected for display at the opening of the sale/exhibition.
- The Camberwell Art Show has a number of awards each year. All paintings entered shall be judged for the category of award that the club determines the artwork satisfies. The club's and judges' decisions shall be final and no correspondence will be entered into with the respect to any award.
- Winners of one award will not be eligible for consideration of additional awards in 2019.
- Awards will include GST where applicable. Non-cash awards are GST inclusive values.
- The Club reserves the right not to make an award in any category if in the opinion of the Judging Panel works submitted do not satisfy the relevant standard. All awards are conferred by the Club in its sole and absolute discretion.
6.0 Commission and GST:
- The Club is authorised to offer any entry for sale to the public at the price [inclusive of GST, if any] endorsed on the electronic entry form and in the event of the sale being affected, to retain thirty per-centum [30%] of such price as a selling commission. The commission includes GST.
- GST has been included in all fees and charges. Artists must complete the GST Section by selecting one of the five  categories and provide relevant information.
- Artists are liable for all or any GST on entry and competition fees; charges for handling or return of paintings and on painting sales [where applicable].
- Awards of cash prizes are deemed inclusive of any requisite GST amount.
- The Club reserves the right to reject an entry where insufficient GST information is given.
- The Club, its members, volunteers or agents will exercise all reasonable care in handling the works submitted, but will not be responsible for the loss or any damage to any works while in the custody of the Club or the Club's agents.
- Artists are responsible for insuring their works against loss or damage whether in custody of the Club or in transit.
8.0 Delivery and Receipt:
- Selected paintings must be received at the Swinburne University, Advanced Technologies Building, 427 Burwood Road, Hawthorn, between 10am and 9pm on Tuesday, 25th June, 2019.
- Works will not be accepted or considered if received after the 25th June, 2019, nor will any fees be refunded.
- Unsold paintings must be collected by Artists, their agents or proxies from the Advanced Technologies Building, 427 Burwood Road, Hawthorn, between 6pm and 9.30pm on Sunday 7th July, and from 8.00am to 1.00pm on Monday 8th July, 2019.
- An additional late handling fee of $50.00 cash per painting will be incurred if not collected by 12pm on Monday, 8th July, 2018.
- If an Artist fails to collect his or her unsold work[s] at the designated time, they will be stored for a period of 30 days at the cost of the artist, after that the Club may sell the work or works if they have not been collected.
10.0 Country, Interstate & Overseas Entries:
- Entries must be delivered free of all charges and free of all packaging except for a minimum of bubble wrap.
- No payments whatsoever will be made by the Club for freight or other charges incurred in delivery or return of entries. Separate arrangements apply to Courier deliveries. Entries which breach this condition will be rejected.
11.0 Payments to Artists:
- Payment of sales proceeds is by only by EFT and all Artists must provided accurate bank details. Payment of sale proceeds less commission [inclusive of GST] will occur within ten  business days of the close of the art show [i.e. by the close of business 17th July, 2019].
- These Terms and Conditions cannot be varied unless agreed in writing by the Club.
13.0 Delivery instructions:
- Print out the delivery docket and artwork labels which were sent via the Successful Artists notification email. If they're not attached to the Successful Artists email notification, please log in to your personal gallery and print them. You need one delivery docket which covers all paintings, and one label per artwork.
- Cut out each label and attach it securely to the back of your artwork in the centre at the top.
- Delivery of artwork for both couriers and artists in 2019 is restricted to one day TUESDAY 25th JUNE between 10am and 9.30 pm. Bring your paintings together with the delivery docket, to ATC Building, Swinburne University, 427 Burwood Road, Hawthorn.
- The delivery docket is vital because it will be signed and be your proof of delivery. Do not lose it. You will need it to pick up unsold artworks. The delivery docket also allows you free entry on Artists' Day, Monday 1st July.
- If you need to make any changes to your artwork's title, description, size or price, please log on and do so, then reprint both the delivery docket and the label of the artwork on which you have made the change.
- If artworks are delivered by courier they should make an appointment within the above times. Courier costs must be pre-paid by the artist.
- Paintings must be presented free of packaging. We won't accept paintings that we need to unpack. The artist or your courier is fully responsible to present your works at our receiving desks without packaging and ready to be hung.
14.0 Collection instructions:
- Bring your delivery docket with you.
- Unsold works must be collected from ATC Building, Swinburne University, 427 Burwood Road, Hawthorn on Sunday 7th July from 6pm to 9.30pm or Monday 8th July from 8am to 1pm.
- We do not pack artworks. If paintings are collected by courier they must pack them.
- Artworks not collected at the above times will incur a $50 storage fee payable on collection.
Artworks not collected within 30 days of the end of the show will be disposed of.
15.0 Art Couriers:
- We do not recommend individual courier companies and suggest you do your homework and search for one which suits your circumstances.
- As an indicator, some available couriers are listed on camberwellartshow.org.au/artists
- General freight carriers
We neither accept paintings delivered by general freight carriers requiring unpacking nor provide return freight packing. If you want to use a general freight carrier we suggest that the services of companies such as "Pack & Send" be used.
Art Show Committee,
Rotary Club of Camberwell Inc.